Guernsey Beach Wheelchair scheme is a charity project that has provided 3 specially designed manual, beach wheelchairs for use on the beach.
The scheme is at Pembroke bay. The Hut & chairs are now in place next to the slipway.
First time users please read HOW IT WORKS as we have to have an induction meeting prior to use, preferably we will do this at the weekend or in the evening.
The project still needs your support for ongoing maintenance, please donate on the link below. If you would like to know more about volunteering, Please get in touch.
The project is promoted by The Guernsey Wooden Spoon, but Guernsey Beach Wheelchairs is a charity in it’s own right.
Who is it For ?
Beach Wheelchairs is for any person who finds that, for whatever reason, they have difficulty to walk on the beach.
People with long term disability from conditions such as stroke; multiple sclerosis; Parkinson’s; head injury; motor neurone disease; spinal injury and cerebral palsy.
People with temporary mobility impairment such as those with a leg in plaster.
People who are weakened by medical conditions such as breathing difficulties or cancers.
The elderly, who are not disabled but may be frail and find the beach a challenging environment to walk on.
Those who would like to attend weddings, birthday parties and family gatherings.
Regular local users and visitors to the island.
How Does It Work ?
Chairs are held in a secure location at Pembroke. Housed in their own dedicated space.
New Users will have a quick induction at the beach, a short disclaimer form completed and signed. We show you how the lock and doors work, the chairs and how to clean them ready for next user. this is best done prior to the first time you want to use the chairs.
Then the users can make a booking via the Website or e-mail giving 24 hours notice.
The Online booking requests will be acknowledged automatically by email, then the actual booking confirmed by an admin person.
If the user is a regular user they still make a booking but will not have to complete the form every time, once familiar they will not need a volunteer to meet them.
Our grateful thanks to all that have donated . Special thanks to Kelvin Re, Investec,Praxis IFM, Schroders CI, Healthspan. for the inital phase. We are now grateful to Social Investment Fund for their support to upgrade the hut and add the swim chair.
We will need funds to support the ongoing project so all donations are gratefully received.
To Donate Click on the Button Below.
How Much Does It Cost ?
The Chairs are free to loan to anybody who has a mobility impairment, users will make a booking, arrangements will be made for a volunteer to meet new users at the beach.
You will book online or by email.
There is no set charge for using the wheelchairs donations from the users will be welcomed and encouraged.
The user will book the chairs via a central booking system.
The volunteer coordinator will contact volunteers to arrange the booking
Volunteers will be required to meet new users at the beach, and provide them a quick over view of the chairs.
The user will sign a disclaimer form and you will check their ID.
Volunteers WILL NOT be required to assist in transferring the users into the chairs or to get on and off the beach.
Please E-MAIL US to learn more.
WHEN ARE THE CHAIRS AVAILABLE AND HOW FAR IN ADVANCE DO I NEED TO RESERVE ONE?
We are open all year. You can book online.
We try to respond as quickly as possible to requests for a chair booking we are but are not “on -site”. If possible, book at least 24 hours in advance.
HOW LONG CAN I USE THE CHAIR FOR?
You can use one of our chairs for up to 3 hours. Arrangements can be made if you would like to have the chair longer or have regular access to a beach chair.
CAN I USE THE CHAIR ON A REGULAR BASIS?
If you wish to use the chairs on a regular basis we can offer some basic training on the safety features of the chairs and our cleaning requirements to leave chairs in a good state for the next user.
You may then access the chairs at their storage facility without the need of support from our volunteers. This will allow more spontaneous outings; all we ask is that you book before taking out a chair to make sure it is not double booked. If this is of interest to you, please ask about “Regular User” training at time of booking.
IS THERE A HOIST AVAILABLE?
Currently there is not a hoist but we will look to get one if the demand is there for one.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO CONSIDER OR BRING?
It can get breezy on the beach and even on a sunny day can be cool. so you should also wear sufficient warm clothing.
BE SURE TO CHECK THE TIDES
Make sure you check the tides times that the tide is not high. However, if you are a planning a day at the beach you can use the chairs on the common for a picnic till the tide goes down.
If there has been high tides or winds the storm boards will be up at the top of the slipway making the beach not accessible.
WHAT IF THE WEATHER TURNS BAD?
We fully understand that weather conditions can change, if you need to cancel your booking please let us know as soon as possible, by E-mail please email@example.com
WHAT SIZE ARE THE CHAIRS?
The dimensions of the chair must be suitable to accommodate your size.
Adult DeBug chair: Seat width and depth are 50cm (20 inches). CURRENTLY NOT AVAILABLE
Adult Sandcruiser chair: Seat 48cm seat height, with raising armrests
The maximum weight the adult chair can hold is 25 stone or 158kg.
Child/small adult chair: Seat width and depth are 36cms (14 inches).
The maximum weight the Child chair can hold is 18 stone or 120kg.
CAN THE CHAIRS GO IN THE WATER?
Chairs are suitable for paddling but not for swimming.
WILL HELP BE AVAILABLE?
We have a friendly team of supporters one of whom will meet you at the beach location. They will give you a demonstration of the wheelchair and see you safely on your way. The whole process takes no longer than 15 minutes.
Please note we are unable to help you get into the beach wheelchairs. You will need to be accompanied by an adult helper/s to assist with transfers and to push the wheelchair. It is likely to require 2 adults to get you back up the slipway.
Your Helper needs to be fit enough to push the wheelchair across the sand and up and down the slipways.
Terms & Conditions
THE USER MUST:
- Be able to perform a safe standing or a sideways transfer on to the beach chair without assistance from the Beach Wheelchairs supporters.
- Have sufficient balance to sit upright in the beach chair without additional support.
THE USER WILL PROVIDE:
- Personal details of name, address, telephone number and proof of identification when requested.
- A helper who is fit enough to push the chair and control the chair on the slipways and soft sand.
THE USER ACCEPTS RESPONSIBILITY:
- To ensure that the wheelchair is suitable for their needs.
- To use the wheelchair completely at their own risk.
- To take full responsibility for the wheelchair and return it in good condition.
- To be liable for any damages sustained to the chair or third parties whilst on loan.
- To report any defects or concerns to Beach Wheelchairs.
- To leave personal belongings in Beach Wheelchairs sheds at their own risk
- To use the chair only on the beach and Waters edge, not enter sea with the chair or travel on the road.
PRIVACY NOTICE – GDPR
- Beach Wheelchairs will collect personal information from you when you enquire to use our services.
- This may include your name, telephone number, physical address and email address.
- We may also ask you for information on your physical ability so that you may safely use our equipment.
- Your personal information will only be used to process your request and to provide you with our service.
- Communications in connection with Beach Wheelchairs may be via email and text and will not be sent in an encrypted form. These are not fully secure means of communication. Whilst we endeavour to keep our systems and communications protected against viruses and other harmful effects, we cannot bear responsibility for all communication being virus-free.
- Beach Wheelchairs will take reasonable precautions to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of information you give us.
- The personal information collected from you will be deleted immediately after you have used our service.
- If you elect to use our services on a regular basis we shall store your information for one year and will contact you annually thereafter to update and correct any information on our records. If you would like your information deleted from our records please email us at anytime.
Introducing Water Wheels Swim Chair
WATER WHEELS SWIM CHAIR
If you are a previous user you must have a new induction for this chair.
Safety is paramount, this chair requires 2 carers as it can be take right out into the water, but can also just be used for a walk on the beach.
For people with some mobility, while in the water they slide to the foot rest and can then swim away from the chair, and same to get back on. 2 people are needed to be on each side of the chair to give stability. If the user is not going to swim from the chair it is manageable with one person, they can just enjoy floating in the sea while remaining seated.
Caution needs to be taken at all times and the sea conditions need to be considered carefully before use.
PLEASE DO NOT MAKE A BOOKING TO USE THE CHAIRS UNLESS YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE INDUCTION. THE INDUCTIONS TAKE ABOUT 15-20 MINS, PREFERABLE ARE DONE 24 HOURS PRIOR TO THE BOOKING REQUIRED. THE USER DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THERE, JUST THE CARERS. PLEASE E-MAIL firstname.lastname@example.org TO REQUEST AN INDUCTION
Please select the type of beach wheelchair you would like to hire: